Friday, August 20, 2010

Iron Girl Gridlock

The Iron Girl triathlon is coming to town this Sunday at Centennial Park.

From HoCo PD:

Major traffic delays are expected on Sunday on Md. 108 and surrounding roads for the Aflac Iron Girl Triathlon. Motorists are advised to use caution when sharing the roads with an anticipated 2,000 participants.

From 6 a.m. to 2 p.m., Md. 108 will be closed to westbound traffic between Ten Mills Road and Centennial Lane. Southbound Centennial Lane from the park entrance to Md. 108 will also be closed.

Police officers will be posted at various locations throughout residential roads on the bicycle course to direct motorists or to temporary close roads to ensure the safety of the bicyclists.

Delays are anticipated along the following roadways, where participants will be given the right of way:

• Homewood Road
• Folly Quarter Road
• Carroll Mill Road
• Mt. Albert Road
• Cantor Lane
• Jumpers Hill Road
• Triadelphia Road

Motorists are advised to allow extra time or plan alternate routes and are reminded to slow down and use caution when sharing the road with bicyclists.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a 12+ year resident of Columbia and love that there's now a blog dedicated to our community.

This event is disruptive to our quiet little community. My next-door neighbor was quite distraught at suddently not being able to get to church, and I was myself was appalled when the police wouldn't let me turn left from Rt 108 into my own neighborhood (despite my telling them I live here).

Am I the only one who thinks that the County does a poor job of notifying those most immediately affected ? I mean, when there are TWO TOUR BUSES parked on your street, you're seriously immediately affected ! I don't understand how no less than 3 pizza deliveries and home improvement contractors can plaster the neighborhood in the same weekend, yet noone from this event could be bothered to do the same.

And isn't it insulting that the police wouldn't let local residents turn left into their own neighborhood ? There were no detour signs or any other notification to the fact ... was it even in their operation plan ?

I'd like to hear what you (all) think about the idea of asking the County to require the event organizer to plaster our neighborhood letting us know about the event and giving us "local permit" passes for the day which the police would recognize so that they can put residents first.

If there's enough momentum I'll gladly write the County Executive on our behalf.